Yeast naturally exists in the vagina and our intestinal tract and occurs when you have an overgrowth and ultimately the yeast takes over causing an imbalance which then results in yeast infection. Pregnant women are even more prone to this because their bodies are producing extra estrogen and other hormonal changes are taking place. If you have diabetes or high blood sugar or if you have taken antibiotics, then that exasperates the situation even more.
Please do not take any oral anti fungal medications over the counter or prescribed. They are generally not safe for pregnant women. Consult your doctor on what is safe and use some tips below to help treat it naturally.
Ways you can treat yeast infections during pregnancy naturally.
1. Wear only cotton underwear, avoid taking baths, only use natural unscented personal care products, and avoid sugars and refined foods.
2. Eat foods rich in Lactobacillus acidophilus, a friendly bacteria that exists naturally in our body and helps fight excess yeast among other benefits. L. Acidophillus boosts the immune system, provides the correct balance in your gastrointestinal tract, helps with urinary tract infections, reduces chances of ulcers, and helps balance cholesterol. It is a great supplement to take even if you are not pregnant. Foods rich in this friendly bacteria are yogurt, fermented pickles like sauerkraut and kimchi, miso soup, tempeh, kefir, and fermented cheese. Kefir, traditionally popular in certain regions of Europe is quickly gaining popularity in the US. It is basically fermented milk and has stronger beneficial bacteria then yogurt. You can also make or buy kefir made from coconut water or juice.
3. In addition to eating foods rich in L. Acidophillus, taking a probiotic supplement is very beneficial especially if you have been on antibiotics. You can also use a liquid form of a probiotic and use it as a suppository to naturally help treat vaginal yeast. Saturate a light tampon with the liquid probiotic, insert and leave it in for 2-3 hours. This is completely safe for pregnant women as a means to treat vaginal yeast during pregnancy. I do not recommend douching with commercial products but you can do a douche with dissolving powder form of probiotic in water.
4. Using anti-fungal extracts and oils to use as natural suppositories can also be very helpful. Tea tree oil and grapefruit seed extract are powerful and effective. Make sure you do dilute it in water. You can add about 10-20 drops of oil/extract to 2 cups of water.
5. One midwife has treated many of her pregnant patients with hydrogen peroxide. It safely kills the pathogenic organisms that exists in the vagina. You can buy 3% hydrogen peroxide at any drug store, it comes in a dark brown bottle. Place small quantity in a small cup and fill a syringe with it. You can dilute the hydrogen peroxide with 1 or 2 parts water if you are experiencing extreme irritation, otherwise no need to dilute. In a shower or over the toilet, take your time slowly and gently to insert the hydrogen peroxide into the vagina. You can do this safely once a day for a week.
If some of the natural therapies are not working for you (some women have deep rooted issues like diabetes and other health problems where recurrence continues despite many natural effective therapies), then i highly recommend working with a naturopathic doctor to come up with a natural solution.
If you found this article helpful or have something to add, please take a moment to leave some comments and suggestions.
We have many more Pregnancy Help Articles Now Available.