Some so-called experts make it sound like all you have to do is create an awesome, optimize it for the search engines and wait for customers to come knocking on your door. Sadly, that isn’t how it works in the real world.
Just optimizing your website and listing it with the search engines isn’t enough. It’s a great first step, but you have to market your website—and your online business—like you would a traditional brick and mortar shop to maximize both sales and traffic.
The first thing to understand is that search engines have algorithms that change on a constant—and continuous—basis so hiring a search engine optimization person just once isn’t enough to keep your website at the top of the search engine results pages. It’s a good place to start, but it definitely is not enough.
The second thing is to understand that orders will not come if nobody knows about your website and nobody is going to know about your website until you take the time to educate them. This is going to take time and money.
If you haven’t done so already, begin advertising your website to your targeted audience. Announce your website to the world through no spam techniques, such as:
- advertising in e-zines or e-newsletters,
- advertising on other websites who share your target audience,
- advertising in the local print newspaper,
- advertising in national print publications,
- sending out public relations or media kits so that you can get interviewed by reporters, journalists, and freelance writers,
- submitting articles to both paying and non-paying markets
- visiting forums that reach your target audience
- socializing in social media circles like Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and CreatingTheHive.
And though it should’ve already been done by the search engine optimization expert, double check to make sure your website has been submitted to the search engines. If not, that could be a huge factor in why your website is not receiving organic traffic via the search engines. We have many more Website Traffic Help Articles Now Available on our website.