In a perfect world we’d all be entirely informed about how our bodies function—unfortunately many people are uninformed or misinformed when it comes to health. Many are aware that lifestyle choices can affect your health. Smoking, drinking, late nights, an extra fatty diet, too much sugar or salt, overexposure to the sun, and too much stress are just some of the factors that all add up over the years and lead to ill health. Other factors are simply due to an aging body..
For example, prostate health should be paid close attention to by every man over 40. The prostate is a gland that is a vital part of the male sexual organs. The prostate gland’s function is to first produce and then store a vital component of seminal fluid or semen. An aging prostate may affect normal activities and hamper one’s lifestyle. Most men never consider their prostate or prostate health until their body forces them to. , But there are important reasons why men should make prostate health a priority as they approach the age of 40. After 40, it is important to have an annual check-up so that your doctor can determine the health of your prostate. Early and frequent checkups can help you know exactly what type of nutrition and supplements you should be taking. The sooner you take control of your lifestyle, the sooner you’ll ensure a better quality of your health and of your life.
How to Make Prostate Health a Priority
1. Nutrition – One of the main contributors to a healthy prostate is the correct diet. Food, in essence is the very foundation on which good health is built. There are certain foods that should be avoided or consumed only minimally:
- All processed meats and red meat
- Processed dairy products and those made with skimmed milk (these contain a dangerous form of oxidized cholesterol)
- All fried foods high in trans-fatty acids
- Hydrogenated oils (found in products such as margarine)
- Too much sugar
- Processed foods made with white flour
- Instant packaged foods, which are high in sodium and preservatives
- Alcohol, caffeine, fluoridated water, soft drinks with aspartame
Instead of the above, have several servings daily of the following:
- Fresh vegetables especially Broccoli, Brussel sprouts, Cauliflower, and Cabbage
- Tomatoes or Lycopene, found in processed tomatoes like ketchup and sauce.
- Fruits like watermelon that are also rich in Lycopene
- Pumpkin seeds full of essential fatty acids that nurture the prostate
- Organic meat and chicken and lots of fresh fish
- Brown rice instead of white
- Whole nuts and fruits (pesticide free)
- Olive oil (but not for cooking)
- Lots of filtered (non-chlorinated and non fluoridated) water
- Foods rich in zinc such as Wheat Germ, All Bran cereals, and shellfish are important for prostate function and has been shown to reduce prostate size
2. Maintain Your Ideal Weight and Exercise – There have been a number of studies that show that men with larger waists were more likely to develop prostate enlargement than those at their ideal weight. If you need to lose weight, exercise regularly and eat a balanced diet to avoid future ill health
3. Moderate Your Consumption of Alcohol – Alcohol raises the body’s prolactin levels. This in turn increases the uptake of testosterone into the prostate and causes a higher possibility of an unhealthy prostate.
4. Regular Prostate Exams – Annual prostate exams can help with an aging prostate and lead to more effective treatment. It is important to have an annual check-up to determine prostate health. Early detection can help you to take counter measures by adequate nutrition and supplements known to benefit prostate health
5. Supplements – There are several supplements available that nutritionally support healthy prostate, urinary and bladder functioning. Supplements that contain Beta-sitosterol and Saw Palmetto have been found to support a healthy prostate. Along with other health benefits, Beta-sitosterol is mainly known to benefit cardiovascular health due to its antioxidant activity. Super Beta Prostate contains a high concentration of Beta-sitosterol. In fact, you would have to take 100 Saw Palmetto capsules in order to get the same amount of sterols in one Super Beta Prostate. Plus Super Beta Prostate contains 12 additional vitamins and minerals that are specifically designed to target and support healthy prostate functioning. However, if you are taking prescription medication, or you have other concerns, you should consult with your doctor before beginning any new health regimen.
We have many more Health Care Articles Now Available.