What is a good leg workout routine? A good leg workout routine will cover exercises that work the quadriceps, hamstrings and calves. If you are new to leg training you will need to start off slow and do less frequent workouts until you condition your body to handle more training volume. Make sure you are healthy enough to start a fitness program. Keep your workouts simple and to the point. Always warm up with joint circles to lubricate your joints or light walking to get your blood flowing into the muscles.
Beginners Leg Training Routine
A good leg workout routine for beginners would look like the following below:
1. 1 to 2 sets of 15 full body weight squats, and these are done by just doing full deep knee bends with just your own body weight.
2. 1 to 2 sets of 15 stiff leg dead lifts with light dumbbells. Start erect with dumbbells dangling in front of your thighs and bend over with your legs staying fairly straight which will target your hamstrings.
3. 1 to 2 sets of 20 calf raises with light dumbbells. While holding dumbbells by each side raise up on your toes slowly and hold for 2 seconds at the top then repeat.
Intermediate Leg Training Routine
1.1 to 2 sets of 10 to 15 reps of squats either with dumbbells held to your sides or a moderate weight barbell behind your neck. Try to squat to at least parallel with the floor or even lower.
2. 1 to 2 sets of 10 to 15 leg curls on a leg curl machine at a gym with moderate weight. Easy to perform but make sure you use controlled movements to prevent injury.
3. 1 to 2 sets of 10 to 15 calve raises on calf raise machine with moderate weight.
4. If you want you can finish up with 1 set of 20 to 30 body weight squats to tighten up your legs more and give you a good muscle burn for muscle conditioning.
Advanced Leg Training Routine
If you have been back into training for a month or more you can go with more volume and heavier weight. Some people my take less time to get to this point and some may take longer. You be the judge of your progress and be safe. See advanced workout below:
1. 2 to 4 sets of 10 to 12 barbell squats going parallel to the ground or deeper. Use moderate to heavy weight and use a squatting cage and spotter if available for safety.
2. 2 to 3 sets of 10 to 15 reps of lying leg press on a leg press machine with moderate to heavy weight.
3. 2 to 4 sets of 10 to 15 leg extensions on a leg extension machine with moderate weights.
4. 2 to 4 sets of 10 to 15 reps on a leg curl machine with moderate weight.
These are some very basic leg workout routines that will produce good results if done once or twice a week, and no less than 2 to 4 days apart if you can handle twice a week. You should not work the muscles again until you have completely recovered from your previous workout, and make sure your nutrition is on point with a focus on more protein and also make sure you are drinking at least 64oz to 128oz of water a day.
We have many more Exercise and Fitness Routine Articles Now Available.