If you have found you have a large prostate, how is it treated? An enlarged prostate gland, also called BPH (Benign prostatic hypertrophy/hyperplasia), can be treated in various ways depending on the amount of growth and. The prostate gland is the male gland that produces the fluid that carries sperm. The prostate gland lies around the tube that passes the urine out of the body, the urethra.
Essentially the prostate gland is an exocrine gland of the male mammalian reproductive system and even though there is similarity between it and other species of the male mammals but to some extent it differs anatomically, chemically, and physiologically. The key role of the prostate gland is to accumulate and ooze a clear, watery liquid that make up one-third of the amount of semen
1. If the gland is overly large, external beam radiotherapy may be used to reduce its size. An x-ray type machine delivers controlled amounts of radiation to a specific target–in this case the prostate gland. Various forms range from photon to proton radiotherapy. “Seeding” is another form of radiation treatment in which radioactive “seeds” are implanting inside the gland.
2. Radical prostatectomy is surgery that removes the whole gland and the lymph nodes (which are part of the lymph system in a human) which are located next to it. This is a surgery that’s done under a general anesthesia, and there’s a hospital stay involved, along with the use of a catheter to help with urination for about 3 weeks. Both of these therapies have high success rates, and also a few downsides (especially the slight chance of impotence with both procedures), so make sure you consult with your physician.Prostate cancer doesn’t have to be a killer.
3. Keeping to a balanced diets and a habitual exercise program coupled with an annual screening is essential to ward off any problems that might arise from your prostate gland. A fitter body is able to better able to fight any diseases that occur from the prostate and your body in general. Although with proper care, there is no guarantee that you will not be afflicted with prostate cancer but prevention with the rights diets, a regular exercise can to some extent aid you in preventing prostate cancer and keep your prostate gland in good health.
4. Hog weed is known in Ayurveda as punarnava. It is prescribed in case of all urinary problems that are caused due to prostate ailments.
5. Gokshura or small caltrop, is an indigenous Indian herb which is commonly used in treatment of urinary complications caused due to prostate problems. Its fruit is effective in such cases. It is ground roughly and boiled in two cups of water till it is reduced to half the amount. This is drunk along with sugar.
6. The modern medicines for enlarged prostate although do reduce its size but often carry dangerous side effects like inability to achieve erections, frequent urination associated with ”BPH” is most of the times not cured, and mostly as soon as you stop taking the drugs the problem often returns.
We have many more Health Care Articles Now Available.