There may come a time where you need to move the contents of one site to another site. Reasons typically vary from a new domain name, new host, a shadow site, etc. Fortunately, WordPress makes this very easy with the Export and Import tools. Follow these easy steps to transfer your content from one WordPress site to another.
Exporting The Contents
- Go the admin dashboard of the WordPress site you would like to export.
- Find the ‘Tools’ menu along the left menu bar.
- Click ‘Export’.
- You will be presented with one option ‘Restrict Author’. From this drop down menu select ‘All Authors’ (default selection) or a specific individual. There are plenty more WordPress Help Articles Now Available on our website.
- Click “Download Export File”.
- A prompt will appear asking what to do with the file, select ‘Save File’.
- The file is saved to the downloads directory set in your browser.
- Your content including posts, pages, comments, custom fields, categories, and tags is saved in a special WordPress format on your hard drive.
Importing The Contents To The New Site
- In the admin dashboard of your new site, go to ‘Tools’ and click ‘Import’.
- Select ‘WordPress’ at the bottom of the list.
- Click ‘Browse…’ to locate the file you just exported.
- Click “Upload file and import”.
- The next screen allows you to change author names for the posts. You can either keep as original, create a name, or map an existing author name.
- Select the checkbox if you want to “Download and import file attachments” (default is deselected).
- Click ‘Submit’.
- The site you exported is not full imported into a different site.
There you have it, the contents of one site are mirrored on another site. I highly suggest after importing verify everything exists as it should. You may need to do some modifications to get everything just you want them especially if you are using a different theme on the new site. There are plenty more WordPress Help Articles Now Available on our website.