Now that spring is almost here, It is time to think about getting your motorcycle out of storage and ready for riding. After being stored all winter, (this is for all us suckers that live in the north), your bike is bound to need some serious cleaning. There is nothing worse than a dusty,dirty bike. You probably paid really good money for that piece of machinery that you have not seen for months and seeing it a mess is almost heartbreaking to some of us. I cannot wait to roll out mine for an all out scrubb and detail. The question is, what are the best ways to clean your bike.
It does not matter if you are just getting your bike ready for another season of riding or putting your bike up for sale, the following is a list of things that can help you keep your bike looking it’s best.
- If you don’t have a pressure washer then you should get one! A pressure washer used with a good cleaning agent/degreaser is the best tool for removing baked on road grime and dirt. Make sure that the cleaner is designed for automotive use.
- Wash your bike in the shade. Washing it in the sun will cause stubborn spots that are very difficult to get off.
- Commit to the task at hand. give yourself a couple of hours. You cannot do a good job in 30 minutes.
- Put your bike on a lift or stand to get the wheels off the ground. This is not required but it will make cleaning and polishing the wheels easier. The lifts and stands also raise the bike so you don’t have to bend over as much
- I use a really good leaf blower to dry my bike. I found that I save a lot of time and have less spots using a blower.
- WD-40 and wax can give you professional results. If you have lots of chrome then you can use fine steel wool to polish out blemishes. If you have sensitive skin or allergies to chemicals then try and wear rubber gloves and other protective garments to protect you body,face,and hands. Your local Harley dealer has a great detail kit you can use.
These tips will help you keep you bike looking nice. Have pride in your ride!! Happy safe riding this year!
For more great tips visit Hoggdaddy.com.
We have many more Auto Insurance Help Articles Now Available.