1. Get the interview details: • What will be interviewing you? What are their job titles?
• What is the format? (ie. mock sales call) • How long is the interview?
2. Anticipate questions: Role play and practice answering questions you might be asked.
For example: Why do you think you would be suitable for this position? Why should we pick you? How does your previous experience relate to this position? What did you learn in your last position? What would your previous employers say about you?
3. Don’t over answer: On average most people take between 5-7 mins to answer which exceeds the attention span of most interviewers. The interviewer’s body language can signal to the applicant when it is appropriate to stop answering. These signals include briefly looking away, leaning away from the applicant, and shifting their positions frequently during your answer.
4. Avoid being negative: It is not to your advantage to speak negatively about past work experiences.
5. Bring a portfolio: Presenting a portfolio to the interviewer is not only a great way to display your skills, but it can help the interviewer remember you after the interview is over. Effective portfolios contain: •Your CV •Copies of your reference letters, awards, or articles written •Samples of work done in a previous position, which may be relevant.
6. References: Keep a list of at least 3-5 updated references with you so that you can present them to the employer if requested.
Remember that your EQ likely make you be chosen over a candidate (all other factors, such as qualifications and experience being equal) Daniel Goleman, author of Emotional Intelligence: Why it Can Matter More than IQ? (1995), writes: Research shows that for jobs of all kinds, emotional intelligence is twice as important an ingredient of outstanding performance as ability and technical skill combined. Goleman was a key contributor to the popularization of the idea of EQ and has conducted studies in over 200 large companies prior to making this claim.
We have many more Career Help Articles Now Available.