The hip joint is a ball and socket type of joint, just like the shoulder joint. The thigh bone has a round head which fits in the cup of the pelvis bone. Strong muscles and ligaments which surround and envelope the joint are responsible for keeping the hip in place.
Due to excessive stress or ‘wear and tear’ of the joint, a condition called osteoarthritis can often be caused in the hip joint. However there are exercises which help in strengthening the muscles around the hip to prevent osteoarthritis, and to strengthen the muscles in general. We have many more Exercise Routine Articles Now Available.
Before we look into these three exercises, remember that you should always consult your physician before starting any exercise routine.
1. Leg Lifts:
1. On an exercise mat, lie down on the right side of your body.
2. Bend the right leg slightly inside, and let your left foot rest on the exercise mat.
3. In a gentle and slow motion, lift the left leg to about two feet off the mat.
4. Hold the position for about 5 seconds and then in the same gradual and slow motion, lower the left leg to the mat.
5. Repeat the steps five times with the left leg, and then change sides and exercise the right leg.
2. Hip Flexion:
1. Start by standing up straight against a wall for support.
2. Slowly and gently lift the right leg up, bending it to make a ninety degree angle at the hip.
3. Hold the position for 5 seconds and then in the same gentle and slow motion, lower the leg to the ground.
4. Repeat the steps five times with the right leg, and then change and exercise the left leg.
To make the exercise a little more difficult, you can try standing away from any support (like the wall).
3. Wall Slide:
1. Start by standing up straight with your feet shoulder width open and back against the wall.
2. Bend the knees slowly, let your back slide down the wall gently, up to a count of five. Your knees should be bent at an angle of 45 degrees, any more than this and you would end up putting excessive strain on the knees.
3. Hold the position for five seconds.
4. Slowly slide up the wall by straightening your knees and stand upright.
5. Repeat the exercise five times.
These are three great basic exercises to help strengthen the hip muscles, for advanced exercises, you can simply do these exercises while wearing ankle weights. We have many more Exercise Routine Articles Now Available.